Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Materialism and Ordinalism

According to Monism, there is one Substance, and according to Dualism, there are two Substances.  In contrast with each is what can be called 'Ordinalism', according to which there are two fundamental elements, ordered as superior and inferior in some respect.  A chronic confusion in the history of Philosophy is that nearly all systems, whether classified as 'Monist', or as 'Dualist', are, in fact, Ordinalist.  For, typical of Monism is the suppression of an inferior element, often via the dismissal of it as 'irreal' in some respect, e. g. Multiplicity, for Parmenides, Individuals, for Schopenhauer, etc.  Similarly, typical of Dualism is a denigration of one of its Substances, often via the thesis of a unilateral interaction between them, e. g. most Mind-Body theories, Kant's Noumenon-Phenomenon pair, etc. but perhaps more often via a normative distinction, e. g. Manichean Light vs. Dark, God vs. the Devil, etc.  Now, Marxism is no exception from this traditional confusion.  He presents his Materialism as Monist, but never quite explains how e. g. Form, Consciousness, Ideas, etc., each of which plays a role in his system, is, are only Matter.  Indeed, the dynamic factor in his system, Negation, which is distinct from the positive Matter to which it is attributed, is indistinguishable from the ex machina visitations in the systems that it presumably inverts, e. g. Spirit, Mind, etc.  So, Marxism includes a suppressed element, which, according to Marx himself, is a symptom of Ideology in what he seeks to supplant.

4 comments:

  1. Trying to get in touch with you. Steven Wight, who you knew as another Deadhead from Oregon who hung out with you on Green St in Ithaca 1971-72. I have another Cornell friend who lives now in Ashfield MA, who I often visit, so if you are in North Hatfield, perhaps I could visit. My email is wight.steven@gmail.com.
    A hint on what I've been up to since I last saw you
    (on that commune outside of Ithaca):

    Medieval Diplomatic and the 'ars dictandi'
    http://scrineum.unipv.it/wight/index.htm

    If all this is unwanted, please forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you well, Steve--including a vague memory that you had a short lifeline? I'll be in touch shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, I am quite happy to have found you via this blog, so in the mean time I will continue reading in it.

      Re: short lifeline; carpe diem is in order at our age--three of my friends from Beta Zilch/Ludlowville (all Deadheads) have died in the past year. Had a wonderful reunion with most of the others earlier this month in Maine.

      Speaking of reunions, saw Nancy Gold, Alison Goulder etc. looking fit and well at the 2013 Cornell reunion--to which I finally resorted after 40 years on the West Coast.

      I now live in Corning NY, only 5 hours drive from the home of my Sperry Hall freshman roommate, Dan Selig . My brother and I will be visiting Danny in Ashfield some time mid August.

      Delete