Sunday, March 23, 2014

Meliorism and 'We'

'We' is the concept of one as a member of a plurality of interdependent agents, i. e. of an organization in which one's I is not delimited.  Thus, We is neither a monolithic They, Aristotle's I-I relation, Kant's universal I, Mill's general Us, nor Levinas' I-Thou relation, and, without a further Teleological modification, is not Sartre's Existential/Dialectical 'We'.  In contrast, in Meliorism, since the formation of a We plainly seems to better any effort to improve given conditions, entering into such an association seems to be a primary mode of self-cultivation.  Thus, for example, while Individualism and Totalitarianism each might constitute a melioration of previous conditions, e. g. mob rule and social chaos, respectively, by losing sight of the We, each is an inferior project, according to Meliorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment