Monday, March 31, 2014

I, We, Private Property

The concept of Property as 'private', i. e. as an immediate I-My relation, abstracts from any process of acquisition.  But, once that process is taken into consideration, so, too, is the antecedent wider context, populated by others, and constituted by non-exclusive property.  From that broader perspective, I-My can be recognized as deriving from an I:We = My:Our proportionality, via a transposition of the middle terms. as a special case i. e. in which I = We, and My = Our.  Now, while, as has been previously discussed, Aristotle does not explicitly address I-We, he does classify both the I-My and the My-Our relations as topics in Ethics, as Retributive Justice and Distributive Justice, respectively.  In sharp contrast, aside from the Logical concept of Property, and the classification of I, We, etc. as 'indexicals', a problem that is among the most contentious issues of human experience has received little attention in contemporary Philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment