Friday, April 12, 2019

Doubting and Attempting

Descartes' Method of Doubt begins with an attempt to doubt something, which, if unsuccessful, proves that it is certain.  Thus, his conclusion that he cannot doubt that he is doubting, begins with an attempt to doubt that he is doubting, and, hence, entails that he cannot doubt that he is attempting to doubt that he is attempting to doubt.  In other words, 'I attempt' is certain whenever it is posited.  But, unlike doubting, attempting can not be subsumed under Thinking.  Hence, it does not follow from I Attempt that I am a Thinking Being, and, thus, am an incorporeal being.  Instead, attempting is the initial stage of self-activation, so, what does follow from I Attempt is I am an Acting Being, which is not easily classifiable as an incorporeal condition.  What also follows from I Attempt is I am an Experimenting Being, and against the backdrop of the fate of an experimenter such as Galileo, the public ascertaining of I Attempt could be a risk to great for Descartes to take, even if that were his private conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment