Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Reflection, I, One

With the Socratic dicta 'Know thyself' and 'I know that I do not know', Philosophy, to combat superstition and dogma, matures from a speculative or an oracular, to a reflective activity.  However, despite the general assumption of that posture in the subsequent two millennia plus tradition, there has been less agreement regarding the structure of Reflection.  For example, on the one hand, Descartes posits it as a coincidence of an I and an I, while, on the other, Sartre discerns a profound abyss between reflecting Subject and reflected-upon Object.  Now, more radical analyses of that non-coincidence are I-Me, I-He/She, and I-One.  Of those three possibilities, the shortcoming of I-Me is that the Me is no longer a Subject, and, hence, offers to an examining I no evidence of the operation of an I, while that of I-He/She is that though it might relate two Subjects, the intimacy of Reflection can be severed.  In contrast, I-One entails non-coincidence, without complete rupture, while preserving Subjectivity.  On that analysis, the Object of Philosophical Reflection--One--is a putative universalization of I, i. e. Reflection is, as Husserl insists, not to be confused with mere Introspection, which is only a particular intra-personal awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment