Thursday, September 5, 2019

Method, Doubting, Certainty

More fully articulated, Descartes' method of Doubting can be formulated as: 1. Try to doubt X; 2a. If X can be doubted, it is not certain; 2b. If X cannot be doubted, it is certain.  So, in the self-application of the method, X = #1, and the result is 2b, on the grounds that trying to doubt X and not trying to doubt X cannot occur simultaneously, i. e. constitutes a logical contradiction.  But, if this is the decisive result that his Avatar is aiming it in the Virtual Reality of the Meditations, then he fails.  For, in the apparent application of the Principle of Contradiction, 'I cannot doubt that I am doubting', X = doubting, and, hence, the complete method.  But, if so, the subsequent inference of the Avatar, from 'I am doubting' to 'I am thinking' is problematic, insofar as 'I think P' means either 'I believe that P is true', or even 'I entertain that P'.  Rather, it is the method itself that = X in 2b, so, as a logical argument, the rumination of Descartes' Avatar in the Meditations is valid only if 'I think' = 'I exercise the method of Doubting'.  Likewise, if, as a result, 'I am' is certain, then it is only insofar as what I am is a practitioner of a variety of Skepticism.  On that basis, the validity of the argument from 'I exist' to 'God exists' is more complicated than Descartes' Avatar presents it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment