Friday, July 10, 2009

Binary System

What I refer to here as 'my system', I obviously mean 'my philosophical system', which is, more accurately, one of my 'sub-Systems', with my life in general qualifying as my 'System' in the strictest sense. I prefer to not use the term 'Theory' for two reasons. First, that might inaccurately suggest that there is no 'Practical' dimension to what I am presenting, and, second, that it might be construed as standing apart from its subject matter. To the contrary--the writing, the sentences, etc. are all systematic, and are thus instances of that subject matter. Prior to Hegel, it is unclear to what extent philosophers have attended to the self-exemplification of their theories. Now, given that my system has two fundamental principles, it certainly qualifies as 'Dualistic'. However, I prefer 'Binary' because of the connotations traditionally associated with the latter, i. e. that one principle refers to corporeality, the other to incorporeality, with the latter at least implicitly the superior of the two, e. g. Body/Mind or Matter/Spirit. Furthermore, I believe that my system solves a problem that has chronically vexed the traditional Dualisms, namely, that two principles that are absolutely distinct manage to interact. Descartes notably suggested that they might intersect in the pineal gland, a suggestion which only relocates the problem, not solves it. Likewise, while Spinoza seemingly keeps them separate, he actually unites them in Substance or a Mode, without explaining their correlation. In contrast, Becoming-the-Same and Becoming-Diverse presuppose another, i. e. the point of departure of the former process is a condition of diversity, and that of the latter is one of Sameness. 'Binary', which is synonymous with 'dual' is free of such baggage.

No comments:

Post a Comment